Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old -FundGuru
TrendPulse|Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 17:56:35
BOSTON (AP) — A former Boston lawyer and TrendPulseprosecutor who was once named one of People magazine’s most eligible bachelors was sentenced Monday to between five and 10 years in state prison for rape.
Gary Zerola, 52, was found guilty last month after a jury deliberated for five hours and has been incarcerated since then. He was acquitted of a greater charge of aggravated rape and burglary.
Prosecutors said that Zerola, in January 2021, paid more than $2,000 for a night of drinking with a woman he was dating and her 21-year-old friend who’d just graduated from college. The friend became intoxicated and had to be helped back to her Beacon Hill apartment. Zerola later entered the apartment without permission and sexually assaulted the woman around 2 a.m. while she was sleeping, prosecutors said.
In a victim impact statement that was read in court, the woman said she’d tried desperately to not allow the incident to affect her, or to give Zerola any power over the rest of her life. But she said that participating in the trial had brought up “the significant and insidious effect this event has had on my life.”
“For months after the incident, I experienced nightly recurring nightmares reliving the assault. Even today, I still have nightmares of someone breaking into my apartment and trying to assault me,” the woman wrote.
The Associated Press does not generally name victims of sexual assault.
“These cases are always difficult, and this victim deserves enormous credit for taking the stand and telling the jury what happened to her that night,” Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in a statement after the verdict.
Zerola’s attorney Joseph Krowski Jr. said Monday that his client is appealing the conviction. He said the sentence wasn’t what they wanted, but was within or close to the recommended guideline range for somebody without a previous criminal record. He pointed out that Zerola had been acquitted on two of the three original charges.
Krowski Jr. said his client was doing “as well as could be expected under the circumstances” and was going to put his time to good use and come out of the experience for the better.
Zerola had previously been accused of other sexual assaults but wasn’t convicted in those cases. He had faced two rape charges in Suffolk County and was acquitted in 2023, according to the district’s attorney’s office. He also was charged in three sexual assault cases between 2006 and 2007, but was not convicted.
Zerola worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for one year, and in Suffolk County for two months in 2000, according to former District Attorney Rachael Rollins’ office.
He was arrested in January 2021.
veryGood! (64494)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Facing rollbacks, criminal justice reformers argue policies make people safer
- Olympics live updates: Katie Ledecky makes history, Simone Biles wins gold
- 1 killed and 3 wounded in shooting in Denver suburb of Aurora on Thursday, police say
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- After Gershkovich and Whelan freed, this American teacher remains in Russian custody
- 14-month-old boy rescued after falling down narrow pipe in the yard of his Kansas home
- After Olympics, Turkey’s Erdogan seeks unity with Pope Francis against acts that mock sacred values
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Jamie Lee Curtis Apologizes for Toilet Paper Promotion Comments After Shading Marvel
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 14 sex buyers arrested, 10 victims recovered in human trafficking sting at Comic-Con
- A massive prisoner swap involving the United States and Russia is underway, an AP source says
- Regan Smith, Phoebe Bacon advance to semis in women's 200-meter backstroke
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Carrie Underwood set as Katy Perry's 'American Idol' judge for Season 23
- Facing rollbacks, criminal justice reformers argue policies make people safer
- Georgia dismisses Rara Thomas after receiver's second domestic violence arrest in two years
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Tesla was in full self-driving mode when it fatally hit Seattle-area motorcyclist: Police
Can I afford college? High tuition costs squeeze out middle-class students like me.
Missouri bans sale of Delta-8 THC and other unregulated CBD intoxicants
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
14 sex buyers arrested, 10 victims recovered in human trafficking sting at Comic-Con
Average rate on a 30-year mortgage falls to 6.73%, lowest level since early February
USA Women's Basketball vs. Belgium live updates: TV, time and more from Olympics